Saturday, February 20, 2021

Milk & Honey or Beans & Broccoli?

Rom 10:17-21  So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ.  (18)  But I ask, have they not heard? Indeed they have, for “Their voice has gone out to all the earth, and their words to the ends of the world.”  (19)  But I ask, did Israel not understand? First Moses says, “I will make you jealous of those who are not a nation; with a foolish nation I will make you angry.”  (20)  Then Isaiah is so bold as to say, “I have been found by those who did not seek me; I have shown myself to those who did not ask for me.”  (21)  But of Israel he says, “All day long I have held out my hands to a disobedient and contrary people.”

Rom 11:5-14  So too at the present time there is a remnant, chosen by grace.  (6)  But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works; otherwise grace would no longer be grace.  (7)  What then? Israel failed to obtain what it was seeking. The elect obtained it, but the rest were hardened,  (8)  as it is written, “God gave them a spirit of stupor, eyes that would not see and ears that would not hear, down to this very day.”  (9)  And David says, “Let their table become a snare and a trap, a stumbling block and a retribution for them;  (10)  let their eyes be darkened so that they cannot see, and bend their backs forever.”  (11)  So I ask, did they stumble in order that they might fall? By no means! Rather, through their trespass salvation has come to the Gentiles, so as to make Israel jealous.  (12)  Now if their trespass means riches for the world, and if their failure means riches for the Gentiles, how much more will their full inclusion mean!  (13)  Now I am speaking to you Gentiles. Inasmuch then as I am an apostle to the Gentiles, I magnify my ministry  (14)  in order somehow to make my fellow Jews jealous, and thus save some of them.

Paul tells us at least one purpose for God’s drawing the Gentiles into the fold- to make Israel jealous. But would Israel be truly jealous if the Gentiles had something less than, or other than the Jews were promised? No child was ever jealous of his classmate’s lunch of liver & onions; pizza & pudding would be much greater reasons for jealousy. Likewise, we Gentiles would only draw the Jews’ interest if they could see we had the very thing they have always craved- the promise of dwelling forever in the promised land with the Messiah’s presence, peace, & protection. 

Mat 28:16-20  Now the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain to which Jesus had directed them.  (17)  And when they saw him they worshiped him, but some doubted.  (18)  And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.  (19)  Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,  (20)  teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”

In this passage, Jesus give His Jewish disciples an indication of what He would later do through them (Acts10), & the “abnormally born” Paul (Acts 13)- to teach “all nations… to observe all that I have commanded you.” Note the teaching was the same for the “nations” as it was for them. 

In contrast, note in Romans 10-11 Paul is addressing the Gentile disciples to witness back to the Jews with the evidence of  their possession of the promised Messiah that the Jews’ prophecies point towards. This portion of Romans is something of a Great Commission in reverse. The “nations” are called to witness all the teachings they have received, in a circular fashion, back to the nation from whom they have primordially obtained them.

If we indeed have such a calling from Paul, how can he expect us to make them jealous with the lesser or at least substantially different kingdom & Messianic relationship that dispensationalists insist we have? 

How can I compel my children to believe in the promise of pizza & pudding if all they ever see on my plate is liver & onions?


2 comments:

Zoarean said...

Sincere apologies to all you who love liver & onions.

All four of you...

Even So... said...

Ha ha!